A MAN has told of his narrow escape after a fire broke out at his block of flats.
Andrew Rogerson said that as he fled, the intensity of the heat from the blaze shattered a window, showering glass everywhere.
The fire started in a first floor flat shortly after midnight on Friday morning at Y Wern, Caia Park, in a property above the home of Mr Rogerson.
Police investigating the blaze on Friday said they were treating it as suspicious.
Three people trapped in the flat were rescued by fire crews. A man in his 30s with smoke inhalation was taken to Wrexham Maelor Hospital.
The block of flats was evacuated and it took firefighters around an hour to bring the fire under control.
Mr Rogerson described the scene as terrifying and said it churned his stomach with fear.
The 32-year-old was watching television in the front room with his partner Rebecca Addis, 24.
“At one point the floor boards upstairs creaked. Then about five minutes later the smoke alarm went off,” he said.
At first he thought it was just a false alarm, but then Mr Rogerson saw smoke billowing from the top of the front door in the flat above.
“Straight away I realised it was serious. I phoned the fire brigade,” he said
“Rebecca was crying. We gathered our two cats and then quickly got out of there.
“As we got outside a window from the flat on fire burst because of the heat.
“Glass was showered everywhere, but fortunately we weren’t hit. It was like a scene from a film. My stomach was churning with fear.”
Mr Rogerson said about 30 people who had fled the flats were gathered outside. About two hours afterwards he was briefly allowed back into his home to gather a few possessions.
“Then it was closed off by the emergency services,” he said.
“I feel I have had a lucky escape.
“The police and the fire service were on the scene very promptly.
“There is water damage to be bedroom, I think it will need a new ceiling.”
Wrexham Council said tenants were moved into temporary accommodation while repairs are carried out.
Karen Duckett lives next to the block of flats and fled from the scene with her two children, Charlize, nine, and 15-year-old Aaron, and two dogs.
“It was only the thickness of the wall preventing the fire from spreading to our home,” she said.
“We could have died.”
She added: “I had been starting to nod off when I heard a noise. I looked out of my bedroom window and there were flames from next door.
“We got out. The fire service was here very quickly. People offered us to come back with them but I stayed outside to make sure the house was okay.”
Police were appealing for information on the fire, which broke out at around 12.03am on Friday.
On Friday a North Wales Police spokesman said: “Flats in the vicinity were evacuated while firefighters tackled the fire and one man was taken to hospital.
“Fire scene investigators and crime scene investigators are currently at the location examining the scene and at this time the fire is being treated as suspicious.”
Officers were also undertaking house to house inquiries in the area on Friday.
Anyone who has information regarding the incident should contact DC 2498 Bowyer Jones or DC 1101 Williams at Wrexham CID on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.