JADE Jones’ childhood home has been damaged by fire.
Windows at a maisonette on Sydney Street in Flint were cracked after a ferocious blaze was sparked outside.
The back of the property, where Olympic golden girl Jade lived for about a decade, was left charred while fencing panels were ruined.
Jade’s mum Jayne Ferguson moved out of the maisonette two days before the blaze.
She said she was “devastated”.
“I’ve been crying all morning,” she said.
“It was my home for years and I’m completely gutted.”
Flames destroyed two garden sheds on Mumforth Walk, behind Olympic taekwondo gold medal winner Jones’ former home.
The flames also spread to burn six fence panels and crack several of the house’s windows.
Mrs Ferguson told the Leader said she visited her old home as soon as she heard what had happened.
“We only moved out last weekend,” she said.
“I went up there to see the house after the fire – it was bad.
“It was heartbreaking to see – we had lived there for about 10 years. It is devastating.”
A North Wales Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said the fire was started by discarded cigarettes. There was no suggestion of any malicious intent.
One crew from Flint attended the scene after a member of the public raised the alarm.
A neighbour, who asked not to be named, said the blaze, which happened at 11.40pm on Thursday night, seemed to have spread extensively.
Other residents living nearby said despite security being stepped up, they feared for their safety as more and more of the Flint maisonettes are emptied prior to being demolished.
The Jones’ maisonette is one of 241 expected to be demolished in the coming months, paving the way for new homes.
Another resident, who has lived in the area for 40 years, said it was “very worrying”.
“People could get killed,” he warned.
He added other residents are also “increasingly worried” about the increase in fires.
“It’s got a lot worse,” he said. “We’re starting to not feel safe.”