RESIDENTS are outraged a group of travellers that was moved on from Llay has set up camp on their doorstep.
On Friday the Leader reported that after 11 days in Alyn Waters Country Park the travellers left but a number of them simply drove the short distance to Wrexham Industrial Estate and set up a new camp near the community centre in Pentre Maelor.
Wrexham Council has pledged it will act to have the travellers removed as soon as it can.
A council spokesman said: “We are aware a number of those who were at Alyn Waters have moved to this new site. We will be taking action to remove them as soon as possible."
On Twitter, Insp Nick Evans wrote: “A few of the caravans have moved to Abenbury. Police and the council are aware.”
Cllr Ray Squire, chairman of Abenbury Community Council, said travellers are regularly turning up in the area.
“We are becoming a dumping ground. They have been coming around here regularly for the last couple of years.”
Cllr Squire said he feared groups which regularly used the community centre would be put off from attending while the latest camp was in place.
“Effectively we are being excluded from our own facilities. People have been contacting me and they are angry, coming to the end of their tether.”
Cllr Squire said the community centre is regularly used for education purposes and he was concerned whether there would be any disruption to teaching schedules.
Wrexham Council has said it is too early to put a figure on the amount of the damage caused while the travellers were at Alyn Waters.
Cllr Malcolm Taylor said: “Everyone here is so pleased the travellers have left Alyn Waters.
“The council did exactly the right thing in going through all the legal procedures to remove the camp. I do understand some people were frustrated, but to do otherwise would have given the travellers a reason to appeal and they might have stayed there for months.”
The travellers were parked by football pitches used by Llay United Youth FC. Club representatives have been busy making alternative arrangements for venues to hold training sessions and matches.
Talking about the state of the pitches now the camp has gone, secretary David Adams said: “I have had an initial look. The decision on using the ground is down to the council.
“But from what I have seen so far, I think with some hard work it could be possible for us to be back there in the next couple of weeks.
“We could do with a bit of rain now to help the grass. There are some skid marks, about 3ft long and 4 inches deep.”