RESIDENTS have reacted with shock to the discovery of a discarded needle on their road.
The syringe was found along with a bottle of vodka schnapps on a pavement on Walnut Street, Rhosddu on Tuesday.
Jenny Holmes, who has lived on the corner of Walnut Street for three years, has become so worried by stray needles, broken glass and bottles in Rhosddu that she has turned her garden into a park for her three-year-old son Charlie.
She said: “Every time we took the kids to Rhosddu park, we had to check it first for needles, bottles, glass.
“My dad decided to buy the play area for Charlie, so he can play here with friends and it’ll be safe. We call it the Walnut Street park.
“It’s always been bad in Rhosddu although usually our street is OK.
“I’ve complained to the council on several occasions, even for small things like putting a bin in the park, but very little’s been done.”
Sandra Baskerville, a child minder who has lived on Walnut Street for 24 years with her husband, said it was a “truly awful” incident for her street.
“We’ve never had any problems like this before on our road, not even when the pub (The Walnut Tree) was open,” she said.
“It’s a major worry when things like this happen – I’ve got young children to look after whose ages range from one to 12 and it is not good when we see things like this. It is shocking.”
Mrs Baskerville added there were discarded bottles in the park on Tuesday morning when she visited with the children she was looking after and one child also spotted rude graffiti on the play area.
Mum Sonia Ellis, said she has felt “intimidated” on visits to the park with her two children – Grace, seven, and Sophie, one – in the past due to a large gang who she describes as frequently drinking in public on the green.
She said: “To find syringes in the street is shocking. Young children walk on these roads especially to attend Rhosddu Primary School.”
Cllr David Bithell, Mayor of Wrexham, said : “I’m shocked at this, truly disgusted.
“There should not be any discarded needles anywhere and people should have more consideration for the local residents, many of whom have children.”
Cllr Bithell said that a Streetscene officer had cleared away the bottle and syringe 20 minutes after he found out about the incident.
He added he and Cllr Steve Wilson would be working together to monitor the area closely in the future.