TWO children were among the casualties rushed to hospital following a chlorine leak on a holiday park.
Emergency services descended on Greenacres Caravan Park, Gronant, shortly before 3pm yesterday.
Six adults were also taken to Glan Clwyd Hospital at Bodwelwyddan, all suffering with the effects of inhalation of fumes.
A rapid response vehicle, an emergency ambulance, and a patient care service vehicle turned out to the caravan park. A ‘faulty machine’ is thought to have caused the leak in the swimming pool.
Don Layfield, caretaker on the site, said he has worked there for about 15 years and it was the first time he has known anything like this to happen.
“One of the machines had gone faulty,” he said. “I have just spoken to my boss and as far as he is concerned the problem is sorted.”
Mr Layfield said a company called Abbey Pools went to the caravan park to fix the machine.
He added: “The pool will be open again in the morning.”
A spokesman for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said two crews were called to an incident which ‘involved chemicals’.
He added: “Crews were called at 2.54pm to a caravan park in Gronant where chemicals were mixed and gas was released.
“The incident was brought under control by 4.33pm.”