SUPERMARKET giant Sainsbury’s has said it has no plans for getting involved in a Ruabon development project.
Thursday’s Leader reported more than 1,500 new jobs could be created if proposals for a supermarket, hundreds of new homes and a business park are given the green light.
The scheme involves land south of Ruabon near the A483.
Planning permission already exists for a business park and site owners Wynnstay Farming have now unveiled updated proposals for the site, which will go on public display before being put to the Wrexham Council planners.
Sainsbury’s was previously reported to be keen on moving to the site.
A £17m planning bid for a business park and a Sainsbury’s was rejected by councillors four years ago.
Now Sainsbury’s said it has no “specific plans” for the site.
A spokesman for the company said: “We're always interested in opportunities in the area but we have no specific plans for this site.”
No supermarket or housing developer has so far been identified for the planned development.
The proposed new plans will go on display on Friday, September 20 between 10am and 7.30pm at the Wynnstay Arms, Ruabon, and on Saturday, September 21, at Plas Madoc Community Centre between 10am and 4pm.
The proposals have generated plenty of discussion on our Leader Live website, with some negative comments posted.
‘aquietlife’ wrote: “More housing will just put more pressure on the local amenities such as schools and doctors surgeries which are already full to bursting point.”
‘garrybutter’ wrote: “How many more supermarkets and dead end part time jobs does this area need?”
But ‘Roland Cleth’ replied: “Supermarkets don't invest millions in opening a new store without doing their homework.
“And most people without a job would be very glad of the opportunity.”
‘Y Ffin’ wrote: “It will be interesting to go along and see the plans as houses, light industry, offices, hotel and supermarket sounds a rather strange mix and a bit vague.”