THE site of a suspected arson attack which gutted a community centre is still a “wasteland” two years on.
There are still no planning proposals for the plot of Shotton Lane Social Club, which was engulfed in flames on February 4 two years ago, leading to the evacuation of dozens of nearby residents.
A mother-of-two, who did not want to be named, said she feared for the future of the site.
The resident, who has lived on Shotton Lane for more than 10 years, said: "It's not what it looks like now. It's what it's going to be after. I didn't mind it as the club even though there was sometimes a bit of trouble.
“But we don't know what’s going to happen.
"It’s the uncertainty that bothers me.
"There were rumours the surgery might move up here, but that hasn’t happened. I’m worried there might be a housing estate put in or a drug centre.”
Margaret Jones, 63, of Shotton Lane echoed concerns about the state of the site which, she said, was overgrown and untidy.
Amy Barker, of nearby Clarence Street, said: “To be honest, it’s been like that so long I suppose I’ve got used to it. I’d imagine they will build houses on it. I quite like the fact I can park the car on there and I’ll be gutted if that goes.
“Our house was one of those that was evacuated which was scary at the time because of how quickly it went up. I’m glad they tore the building down because it was awful when it was just a shell. It would be nice to know what they are doing next.”
Cllr Ron Davies, representative for Higher Shotton, branded the plot “an absolute eyesore”.
“It’s pretty miserable for people who live across the road to have that in their face every day they walk out of their house.”
Cllr David Evans said he believed the land had been taken on by private owners.
He said: “The last I heard the owner was going to fence it off for safety reasons. It’s a bit of a wasteland at the moment.”
Cllr Davies said he was also aware the plot was in private hands, but was unable to divulge the names of the current owners.
He said: “There may be one or two owners. We are trying to work with them to tidy it up and to make the wall safe.”
The club, which would be more than 100 years old if it had been left standing, was closed before it was destroyed in a blaze.
The building was earmarked to provide an Islamic Cultural Centre by the Flintshire Muslim Cultural Society before it was destroyed.
An investigation after the blaze was inconclusive.
The construction of a temporary 40-ft mobile phone mast by Beacon Communication on behalf of Hutchison 3G UK Ltd two months after the fire led to angry residents sending letters of complaint to politicians and Flintshire Council. It was removed in December 2011.
In March last year there were fears drug users were using the site, and Shotton councillor Cllr Elwyn Jones said residents were “frightened to go out the door”.