TWO schoolboys aged 15 and 13 who admitted arson following a fire at the spectators’ stand at Mold Alex Football Club have been placed on youth rehabilitation orders.
A youth court at Mold heard that their version of events – that they did not actually start the fire but they had put grass or rubbish on it once the fire had been started by another – was accepted by the prosecution.
The arson charge arises from a fire at the club on June 14 which was stamped out by a voluntary worker.
Prosecutor Alun Humphries said a volunteer staff member was at the club and noticed two youths and a young woman at the club.
They removed something from a skip, went up to the stand, and smoke was seen to be rising.
One was heard to shout “get more grass”.
He was able to stamp the fire out and there was no damage, simply some scorching of the wooden stand.
The two boys, who had previously pleaded not guilty, changed their pleas at an earlier hearing.
The prosecution said it was not in the public interest to proceed against a 16-year-old girl who had denied the charge, and no evidence was offered against her. Her charge was dismissed.
Huw Roberts, defending, said that while his clients had admitted arson on a joint enterprise basis, it was accepted by the prosecution they did not start the fire.
But his clients accepted they had added some grass or rubbish to the fire once it had already been started.
Both were already on youth rehabilitation orders and had previous convictions.
They were placed on fresh 18-month rehabilitation orders and ordered to pay £100 costs.