A FAMILY cat had to be put down after what vets described as one of the worst cases of poisoning they had ever seen.
The six-year-old black and white tabby called Louie belonged to Sandra Lessiter, 56, of Heol Wen, Coedpoeth.
It happened in the same community where eight cats died in just two months after they were suspected to have been have been poisoned with anti-freeze back in 2010.
Louie was taken to Daleside Vets on Monday after Ms Lessiter found him curled up and bleeding behind her bathroom cabinet.
He was put down after vets discovered high levels of poisoning in his blood.
They were unable to establish what had poisoned the cat as Ms Lessiter could not afford to pay for the tests.
Ms Lessiter’s daughter Lindsey Magee, 28, has raised fears that cats in the area are being targeted.
Mrs Magee, from Brynteg, has reported the death to North Wales Police and the RSPCA.
She said: “My mum’s really upset about this. The vets said it was one of the worst cases of poisoning they’ve seen.
“I’m warning people to be vigilant as I think it’s someone doing it deliberately.
“Two of my mum’s neighbours’ cats died after being poisoned a couple of years ago when there were quite a few incidents.
“My mum’s got another cat who’s 12 and she’s always out and about so it’s quite worrying.
“It’s sad as we’ve had Louie since he was a kitten.
“My brother had him first then when he moved my mother ended up having him.”
A spokesman for North Wales Police confirmed police were aware of the report.
She said: “We received a call from a woman who believes her cat has been poisoned.”