Potentially explosive waste has been discovered at a pharmaceutical company.
The authorities have temporarily stopped production at Euticals Limited, in Sandycroft, after a large quantity of Isosorbide Dinitrate (ISDN Pure) was found at the site in Prince William Avenue.
The material was discovered during a joint inspection by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and Environment Agency Wales.
ISDN Pure, which can be used in angina medication, is highly explosive.
Letters from both Flintshire Council and the company are being sent to up to 3,000 nearby residents informing them of the situation.
Locals living nearby have spoken of their fears.
Cath Caine, landlady of the New Inn in Station Road, Sandycroft, said: “I’m shocked. Sometimes children play there and people walk their dogs so it needs to be safe and secure.”
Resident Kevin Davies, who lives in Hamilton Avenue and works in the area as a plasterer, added: “I’m shocked because I walk my dog around there every night.
“I passed by last night and noticed the gates where shut and that’s the only time I’ve seen that. I’ve seen a few men walking around in high visibility jackets.”
Colin Everett, Flintshire Council’s chief executive, said: “Euticals Limited has implemented increased site security and is applying an operations plan as a public safety measure.
“This is because a substantial quantity of potentially explosive pharmaceutical material – Isosorbide Dinitrate (ISDN Pure) – has been identified on the site following a recent joint inspection by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and Environment Agency Wales.
“Euticals Limited has temporarily ceased its operations pending laboratory analysis of the material and a permitted plan for its treatment and/or removal from the site to reduce the risk to public safety.
“Members of the public and other companies in the vicinity will be advised of any specific precautions that need to be taken as and when it is necessary.
“Further announcements will be made when there are any further developments.
Timothy Dowd, on site director at the firm, said: “The site is still being managed.
Productive operators are on site but there is a restricted presence there.”
Queensferry ward councillor David Wisinger is urging people not to panic.
“I’m concerned, obviously, as will residents be,” he said.
“But we don’t want to cause any panic. The authorities have told us it’s under control.
“The chemicals in there are highly toxic and explosive as that’s the nature of the work and it’s all the more reason to take precautions.”
Mr Everett added: "Euticals is co-operating with the statutory agencies, including Flintshire Council, the Health and Safety Executive, Environment Agency Wales, police, fire, and health agencies, who are working closely together to monitor and regulate the situation.
“The statutory agencies are providing advice to Euticals Limited to assist it in managing the risks.”