ad

Mum's lucky escape after blaze at Shotton home

Published date: 15 October 2012 |
Published by: Staff reporter
Read more articles by Staff reporter


Farrah McHugh had a lucky escape 

The completely gutted living room where the fire is thought to have started 

Prev | Next
Images: 1 of 2

A WOMAN escaped unhurt after fire broke out in her home, causing widespread damage.

Mother-of-four Farrah McHugh, 29, has spoken of her shock after a blaze broke out on Terrig Street, Shotton, early on Saturday morning.

She was alone in the terraced housed and managed to flee the fire after her fire alarm sounded, expressing her relief that her young children did not witness the horror.

But many of their toys were destroyed, along with treasured keepsakes such as family photographs and other items, including a television and sofa.

The fire gutted the front room and caused damage to other rooms including the hallway, dining area and kitchen.

Firefighters believe a discarded cigarette caused the fire, which led to the property being filled with smoke.

“I am just in total shock,” said Miss McHugh. “But thankfully I am okay otherwise.

“I remember coming downstairs for a cigarette. I was then upstairs in bed and heard the smoke alarm going off and then I realised what was happening.

“There was smoke everywhere and the house was on fire.

“I couldn’t believe what had happened.”

Miss McHugh called fire crews and managed to rescue her cat.

Following the blaze, numerous fire damaged items were laid out on the front yard, including children’s toys.

She added:“I am just so relieved my children weren’t here at the time.

“It is horrible seeing what has happened to their toys. I have lost photographs of members of my family which were very important to me and cannot easily be replaced.

“I have never experienced anything like this before.

“I am so grateful to my neighbours for helping me so much following the fire.”

She said it was too early to estimate the financial damage of the blaze, fearing her insurance would not cover many of the destroyed possessions.

A spokesman for North Wales Fire and Rescue said they were called at 7.30am to the fire, which they believe was caused by a discarded cigarette.

They said the fire caused significant fire damage to the front room and to a sofa.

“The fire also caused smoke damage to the rest of the house,” said the spokesman.

“Two crews from Deeside attended and used two sets of breathing apparatus and two hose reels.

“There were no injuries.”

You must be a registered user to leave a comment. Register or login here.

Past pictures from Aston

  • l1077ddf
  • l107c6ae
  • 108 86 (1)
Local Bygones

View thousands more photos like this on www.localbygones.co.uk

Browse our archive
 

Local Business Offers & Promotions

  • 10% OFF

    STUDENTS, OAP;S, HIGH SCHOOL PUPILS. 10 % OFF Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Wash/Finish or Wash/Cut/Wash (Not in Conjunction with any offer)

    Valid Until: Thursday, 11 Dec 2014

    Voucher Code: C&CO

  • 25% Off your Food bill!

    Each diner must purchase a starter & a main course. Offer valid until December 2014. Valid Sundays - Fridays only. Not valid on Bank Holidays & Selected Dates - please call for confirmation. Please book in advance & mention ' Web Offer'. This offer excludes Buffet, Banquet & Takeaway. The Restaurant reserves the right to change this offer at anytime.

    Valid Until: Friday, 05 Dec 2014

    Voucher Code: Web Offer


View all offers & promotions

Featured Businesses

View all adverts