ad

Man douses himself in petrol at Wrexham Jobcentre

Published date: 04 October 2012 |
Published by: Lois Hough
Read more articles by Lois Hough

Emergency services were scrambled to the building on Grosvenor Road

A MAN walked into Wrexham Jobcentre, doused himself in petrol and threatened to set himself alight.

About 50 members of staff were evacuated from the Jobcentre Plus building yesterday (Wednesday) after the man’s dramatic announcement.

Emergency services were scrambled to the building on Grosvenor Road and a stand-off ensued with the man who was holding a lighter.

Five police cars, an ambulance and a fire crew were called at about 3pm and police blocked off the entry and exit points.

James Jones, of Pentre Broughton, said: “I had been going for an appointment and when I arrived the police and ambulance service were there.

“A woman told me a man with a can of petrol had threatened to set himself on fire.”

A spokesman for the Welsh Ambulance Service (WAS) said: “A man in his 40s has doused himself with petrol and is holding a lighter. Police have negotiators there and the fire service is there.”

Staff were allowed to collect their belongings and dispersed at about 3.45pm, and the drama was resolved by 4pm.

Michael McGivern, North Wales Police spokesman, said they were called to the disturbance at about 2.50pm.

“Police attended along with North Wales Fire and Rescue Service and WAS.

“A man was taken into medical care at 4pm,” he said.

A spokesman for the Department of Work and Pensions said the situation had been handled by police and they were waiting for information to establish a clearer picture of what had happened.

Members of staff and police officers at the entrance gates advised members of the public unable to get into the building that arrangements would be in place for benefit payments to be made automatically.

However, some Jobcentre visitors were affected by with the disruption.

Plas Madoc mother of one, Jenna Davies, 27, said: “I had come here for a crisis loan of £75 which I was supposed to be picking up to pay for food and gas. Now all this has happened.

“I don’t know what I am going to do, I don’t have any money on me.”

You must be a registered user to leave a comment. Register or login here.

1. Posted by: sandrobe2001 at 20:05 on 03 October 2012 Report

This was a statement against the cuts in the Welfare System.

2. Posted by: newshound at 22:41 on 03 October 2012 Report

Desperate times call for desperate measures, I supose.

3. Posted by: alidyl73 at 23:57 on 03 October 2012 Report

Must have been in a bad way.

4. Posted by: stapler12 at 09:50 on 04 October 2012 Report

This is a hot topic right now.

5. Posted by: Cassie at 10:43 on 04 October 2012 Report

This is awful,our f---- up government need to sort things out,we are becoming worse than 3rd world countries.

6. Posted by: JeShe at 18:02 on 04 October 2012 Report

Yes, I could see how that could happen. A combination of bad government and incompetent jobcentre staff

7. Posted by: Carly2 at 20:05 on 04 October 2012 Report

Actually the staff were really professional. I was there and I thought they handled everything very calmly. Hope the guy is ok now.

8. Posted by: Common sense at 22:30 on 04 October 2012 Report

I think you'll find it's someone with a severe mental illness rather than someone who can't get enough beer tokens.

Past pictures from Bodhyfryd

• l107834f
  • l108dc6b
  • BG-311011-1279
Local Bygones

View thousands more photos like this on www.localbygones.co.uk

Browse our archive

Local Business Offers & Promotions

• 10% OFF

STUDENTS, OAP;S, HIGH SCHOOL PUPILS. 10 % OFF Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Wash/Finish or Wash/Cut/Wash (Not in Conjunction with any offer)

Valid Until: Thursday, 11 Dec 2014

Voucher Code: C&CO

• 25% Off your Food bill!

Each diner must purchase a starter & a main course. Offer valid until December 2014. Valid Sundays - Fridays only. Not valid on Bank Holidays & Selected Dates - please call for confirmation. Please book in advance & mention ' Web Offer'. This offer excludes Buffet, Banquet & Takeaway. The Restaurant reserves the right to change this offer at anytime.

Valid Until: Friday, 05 Dec 2014