ad

‘Intimidation’ leaves Reds takeover deal in doubt

Published date: 24 May 2011 |
Published by: Phil Robinson
Read more articles by Phil Robinson


 

THE future of Wrexham FC has been thrown back into doubt.


The businessman backing the latest bid for the club is believed to have pulled out after claiming he was intimidated at his Shropshire home.


And in another development, student flats next to The Racecourse Ground were the target of an arson attack early yesterday, the second within a week.


News that controversial businessman Colin Poole was backing the takeover of the club sparked a storm of protest when it was announced last week.


According to Ian Roberts, who still co-owns the club, Mr Poole has now pulled out of the deal after being visited by a group of angry protesters on Saturday.


He said Mr Poole was hosting a horse show in the grounds of his luxury home in the countryside outside Shrewsbury when a group confronted him about his part in the bid for the club by its former commercial director Jon Harris.


Mr Roberts said: “Apparently, these people hired a minibus and went out there.
“They parked in the nearby village and walked up a mile-long drive to the house.
“They handed out leaflets and confronted Mr Poole and his wife.


“He and his family obviously felt extremely intimidated by this and he has now decided to withdraw his financial support, which I believe was about £2 million.”


Mr Roberts also revealed that in the early hours of yesterday, arsonists attacked student flats on land which he jointly owns with Geoff Moss in Crispin Lane, next to the football stadium.


He said details were still unclear but it appeared petrol had been thrown through an open panel on the ground floor of the block, which is still partially under construction but will eventually house 156 tenants.


Mr Roberts added: “They set fire to some material in there and if not for the security guard, who managed to put the fire out, it could have been much worse.


“The damage will cost a couple of grand to put right but there is no structural damage.”


He said earlier in the week a small section of the same building was deliberately set on fire, causing minor damage.


He said: “It could be a million-to-one chance coincidence that these fires took place in the week after the announcement of the club’s sale was made, but to me it seems awfully suspicious for them to have happened now.


“This has to be the last straw.


“Geoff and I have had threats on our lives over the phone and now this.


“I don’t know what could happen next but I have other businesses and my employees safety to think of.


“Every single person who has shown an interest in buying the club has now been frightened off and I just don’t know what happens now.”


Jon Harris confirmed the intimidation of Colin Poole at the weekend and that Mr Poole had now withdrawn from the deal.


He said: “I think it is only right to give him a bit of time to consider this.
“However, this is my bid and I am still looking at moving forward.


“If Colin withdraws I will have to look for someone else.”


A spokesman for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said crews attended a small fire on a site in Crispin Lane at 1.26am on Monday.


A police spokesman said the blaze was being treated as suspicious and a joint investigation with the fire service was under way.


People with information are asked to call Wrexham CID on 101 (if in Wales), 0845 6071001 (Welsh language line) or 0845 6071002 (English language line).
The Leader was unable to contact Mr Poole at the time of going to press.


Richard Owen, chairman of Wrexham Supporters Trust, said: “We have no knowledge at all of what happened at Mr Poole’s home.


“We prefer not to comment on any of these incidents until we can study the full facts of what has happened.”


He added: “We had a board meeting last night to discuss what happened at our meeting at William Aston Hall last week and will be making a statement today.”
 

You must be a registered user to leave a comment. Register or login here.

  1. Posted by: JerBish at 09:36 on 24 May 2011 Report

    What a shame you forgot to mention that Colin Poole is a disqualified company director (and recently struck-off solicitor). Mr Poole has contravened his ban by acting as a consultant to Mr Harris's bid, and also by been a named financial backer for the takeover, thus having direct ' influence' on an organisation. You also choose to repeat the allegations of death threats by Mr Roberts - these have never been backed up by any facts or police action so why do you repeatedly quote them as facts?

  2. Posted by: WREXHAMFAN at 10:48 on 24 May 2011 Report

    Disgraceful "journalism". Key facts missed out as pointed out by JerBish. Also this is trying to link the peaceful, NON law breaking visit to Poole's by wrexham fans, which might I add was a PUBLIC EVENT, to the arson attack on the student flats. I hope Mr Roberts has evidence linking the two or he may face legal action.

  3. Posted by: wrexhamafc at 11:13 on 24 May 2011 Report

    As usual, poor,poor one sided accusatory reporting. A peaceful group of concerned fans visited a public event,and were verbally assaulted by Poole's wife,all caught on video.and the week after Roberts declares he has no more money, a suspicious fire in an insured property of his? I wonder who should be suspect number one? What has the Trust got to do with this? Disgraceful attempt to implicate a fans group. I hope they sue you.

  4. Posted by: wrexhamafc at 12:08 on 24 May 2011 Report

    Oh and by the way, Wrexham Supporters Trust now OWN Wrexham FC! Given the way the Laeder has been siding against them, I guess you can kiss your Wrexham FC stories goodbye! You'll have to sell more advertising space to Nev Dickens instead.

  5. Posted by: Roland Cleth at 14:08 on 24 May 2011 Report

    What is it about Wrexham, the way it attracts people of the calibre of Vaughan, Poole, Cleeve, Booth, Guterman, Hamilton?!

  6. Posted by: protest against wrexham village at 14:13 on 24 May 2011 Report

    'Intimidation' and 'angry protestors'? What a load of rubbish, it was a public event that they attended and the only intimidating and angry person there was Michelle Poole (Colin's wife) who told her husband that he should "bankrupt the club". This is appalling reporting yet again from The Leader, we never get to hear the fans side of the story.

  7. Posted by: kevinweston at 18:54 on 24 May 2011 Report

    It would be good to see more investigative journalism.

  8. Posted by: wrexhamafc at 08:41 on 25 May 2011 Report

    kevinweston, it would be good to see more journalism, never mind investigative! All you get in the leader is hearsay,and usually one sided at that.

Past pictures from Bodhyfryd

  • l108dc6d
  • l108dc6b
  • l108dc6e
Local Bygones

View thousands more photos like this on www.localbygones.co.uk

Browse our archive
 

Local Business Offers & Promotions

  • 10% OFF

    STUDENTS, OAP;S, HIGH SCHOOL PUPILS. 10 % OFF Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Wash/Finish or Wash/Cut/Wash (Not in Conjunction with any offer)

    Valid Until: Thursday, 11 Dec 2014

    Voucher Code: C&CO

  • 25% Off your Food bill!

    Each diner must purchase a starter & a main course. Offer valid until December 2014. Valid Sundays - Fridays only. Not valid on Bank Holidays & Selected Dates - please call for confirmation. Please book in advance & mention ' Web Offer'. This offer excludes Buffet, Banquet & Takeaway. The Restaurant reserves the right to change this offer at anytime.

    Valid Until: Friday, 05 Dec 2014

    Voucher Code: Web Offer


View all offers & promotions

Featured Businesses

View all adverts