A PHONE mast plaguing the lives of people in Deeside will be removed before the end of the year.
The controversial 40-foot mast was put up at the former Shotton Lane Social Club in April.
It was installed after a previous, less visible mast, was destroyed in a suspected arson attack.
Residents said their lives have been blighted by diesel fumes and a non-stop droning sound coming from the structure.
Now Flintshire Council has confirmed the mast will be disconnected on December 23 and removed on December 28.
Relieved Shotton Higher councillor Ron Davies said: “The monstrosity will finally be gone.
“Residents are over the moon and so am I because it really is an eyesore. I’m sad they couldn’t move it in time for Christmas, but it’s something to look forward to in the New Year.”
Meanwhile, Everything Everywhere – a joint venture between Orange and T-Mobile – has permission from Flintshire Council for permanent apparatus at BMW
specialists Trenics Ltd, on Chester Road East, Shotton, just around the corner.
Speaking on behalf of Everything Everywhere, a spokesman for Mobile Broadband Network Limited (MBNL) said this would be in place before Christmas.
The spokesman said: “We have been looking very hard for a permanent site for a long time and now we have found one.
“The 3G base station has to meet the requirement for a mobile phone service from the residents and businesses of Shotton and Queensferry.
“3G base stations are low-powered radio transmitters and only serve small areas so we had to look very locally.”
Cllr Davies added: “From what I understand this one will be far less visible and will look more like a lamp-post.”
A spokesman for Flintshire Council said: “Officers from the council’s planning department have been in discussions with the company.
“They have advised us the mast will be disconnected on December 23 and removed on December 28. The site on Chester Road East, Shotton, was dealt with as a prior approval.”
Shotton Lane Social Club closed in August 2010 and was earmarked by the Flintshire Muslim Cultural Society to become an Islamic cultural centre with a mosque.
More than 100 people were forced to leave their homes when fire swept through the building in February. The building was later demolished.
See full story in the Leader